Showing Cavies in Tasmania
Entering a cavy in the pet class is a great way of entering the wonderful world of showing your furry little friend.
We have a different fun theme for fancy dress at every show.
See if your cavy can eat a piece of food fast enough to win the fastest eater competition.
Does your cavy have the cutest face? Then enter the cutest face contest.
Win a lovely big ribbon for best pet condition if you have an extremely pampered and well-looked-after cavy.
To enter pet section, the cost is $3.00 per cavy for members or $5.00 per cavy for non-members.
This covers all classes within the pet section.
To Enter, just turn up to the Show on the day and fill in the Entry Forms. T
here will always be a Club Member available to help with any inquiries.
Cavies entered in the Pedigree Section must be pure-bred and have a pedigree. The pedigree section is judged only by an ANCC-registered judge who can be local or interstate-based.
All show cavy must conform to the ANCC Standard for that particular breed as closely as possible, for example a marked cavy (IE: Dalmatian or Dutch etc), must have markings in a particular place on their body or in a certain arrangement, those that are not close to the standard or have a major show fault maybe severely penalized or even disqualified from the class. Most breed classes are judged on colour, coat, type, ear, eyes, condition etc. Good grooming is also a huge part of the presentation.
A show-quality cavy can sometimes be purchased from a registered breeder and will be supplied with a pedigree. If the cavy has already been shown, the pedigree will already carry a registration number. If it is not registered then the original pedigree along with a photocopy is sent to the state registrar, the registrar will issue a registration number which is placed onto the pedigree, the registrar will keep one copy of the pedigree and the other is sent to the owner.
Breeding is another way of becoming the owner of a show-quality cavy. The parents must be pure-bred and hold pedigrees. The breeder must be a member of a recognized cavy club and apply to the ANCC for a stud prefix. No cavy is permitted to carry the prefix of an un-registered stud.
To enter pedigree class costs $7.00 for junior member, $14.00 for senior members, $15.00 for non-members.
This covers unlimited entries.
- You are eligible to enter this class from the first time you put in your own Entry Form for 12 months.
- You must be a member of the Northern Tasmanian Cavy Club
- You must show your own Pedigree Cavy. You must have also prepared the Cavy for the show yourself.
- You must also enter the Cavy into the Pedigree Breed Classes.
- If you win Novice or a Major Award at a Show, you are no longer able to enter with the same Cavy into Novice, but are welcome to enter with another Cavy for the remainder of your 12 months
- 12 Months is for 364 days after your first show entry.
- The Junior Exhibitor Class is open for any Exhibitor 16 years and under.
- They must be a member of an ANCC affiliated Club.
- They must show a Pedigree Cavy. (If you don’t own one, you may borrow one from a breeder.)
- You must know something about the Cavy you have entered. Example: What breed, what colour and what sex it is.
- You must also know how to present it on the table before the Judge. (You must be in control)